Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wasley Lake yurting

Are we there yet?

On the day after the holiday (Canada Day, or something like that) we got into the car again, and drove up to a place called "Douglas Lake Ranch". It is touted as the largest working cattle ranch in North America. My first question: What are "cattle"? I would soon find out.
Anyhow, it's pretty cool, as this place has so much real estate, that they need a little community of their own, just to run the ranch. We stopped in here to pick up a key to the yurt, and sign waivers and get warnings about the bears - bears? What are bears?

So just a short 45-minute drive from the home ranch, is the yurt. On the way, we saw some really big dogs called "horses" - they thought we were important, as about 12 of them (not really sure, since I can't count) started following us. Then the cowboys came over the hill and led them off in a different direction. I was really excited. Then I saw the even bigger dogs called "cows" - they were huge! Especially the ones with the horns... I'm not sure that I would like to be out running around chasing them, but from the safety of the Rover, it was like nothing I've ever experienced.

And then we arrived at the yurt... so what the heck is a yurt?

yurt - [yoort]
–noun
a tentlike dwelling of the Mongol and Turkic peoples of central Asia, consisting of a cylindrical wall of poles in a lattice arrangement with a conical roof of poles, both covered by felt or skins.


This yurt is different however, as it is on a secluded lake, that is only accessible from a private road. So we had this entire lake and yurt to ourselves! I went out in the boat when we went fishing - I don't know what the big deal about these fish is, as they don't seem that exciting to me. But I do like hanging out with Richie and Christine in the boat!Here I am, posing at the front of the boat, showing what a good "sea-dog" I am... I don't even get sick!It's getting late, and I've had a long day. I'll put some more stuff up later, as this was only day one!

Mischa

No comments: