Friday, December 12, 2008

Catching up with the Berners

So sorry it has taken so long to post some new stuff here, but Ritchie and Christine went away for what seemed like forever to some place called Maui. We on the other hand, went to stay with Richie's sister Deb, Connor, Sarah and Lupin! We had a grand old time, and got into all sorts of trouble. Like the time that Mischa got up on the counter and pulled the cookie jar down onto the floor. Lupin and I didn't have anything to do with it (I swear!), but we weren't just going to stand around while Mischa feasted - no way! When we are not getting in trouble, I follow Deb around like her shadow - something my namesake used to do as well, I hear.

Anyhow, we were thrilled to have Richie and Christine home again, as you can see by my lap-dog impression above. Mischa has decided that it's great fun to stand on the big brown box (called an ottoman), and frequently uses it as a method to try and get across to a warm lap. When that happens, I snuggle right in there, and the next thing you know, there's 185 lbs. of Berner fun in your lap!

I think they really missed us too, and so Christine gave us two little bears to play with. You can see Mischa and I playing a little tug-o-war with one of them, on top of Richie's head! I actually didn't really know what to make of the little bears, and I was treating them like my own little bear cubs. Sure, I had them in my mouth - what are we dogs supposed to pick up things with? But when I was put in my room for the night, I yelped, because I wanted to be with my little bear! My nickname is "Big Bear" (Mischa's is "Little Bear") - why wouldn't I have a thing for bears?
Anyhow, after a few days of tussling with them however, the little stuffed bears got pulled apart, and I've pretty much gotten over it now.

Now we are getting ready for Christmas, which has been great fun! Richie put up this tree in the living room, except that it isn't real - you can't fool our noses. Then Richie sits back with a big glass of wine, and Christine hangs all sorts of enticing, shiny toys from the tree... we aren't allowed to have any of them, but they are still fun to look at and sniff. There are also lots of other things in the living room that she has put out for us to smell - the best one is this little stuffed "Santa" (whatever that is) but it has fur that smells like the rabbit next door all over it! I know Mischa is going to grab it one day, and then there will be hell to pay.

I think the best part about this Christmas season however, is the fact that Christine and Richie spend a lot of time in the living room, with that fire thingy going, and we get to lie on the floor by their feet - something we Berners are very good at.

No comments: