Sunday, April 12, 2009

Our new cousin

Richie's sister Deb is getting a new puppy named Humphrey!

He's a 4-month old Great Pyrenees/Maremma Sheepdog cross apparently... these dogs are actually a little bit bigger than us Berners, but not by much. So Humphrey will likely end up being even bigger than Paisley! No matter, as he's still smaller than me, and I'll show him what's what.

The Great Pyrenees, similar to us Berners, are from the Pyrenean Mountain range after which they were named. While they were used for pulling artillery and other stuff during the war (whatever that was), their primary duty was to guard the sheep. Similarly, the Maremma Sheepdog is named after the Maremma section of Tuscany, but actually originated from central Italy. These dogs weren't herders, but rather protectors of the sheep. Crazy, as I would spend my whole day chasing them.

Anyhow, I can't wait to meet my new cousin Humphrey!

Mischa

No comments: