Thursday, January 25, 2007

So far, so good

So this is what it's like being a puppy? Not so bad, me thinks. Even though I haven't opened my eyes to have a look around yet, I am getting lots of love and attention.

I seem to have lots of opportunity for naps (a precursor for things to come?), and there's always some of my brothers and sisters close by to curl up and nap with.That's me lying on top with the purple ribbon - there's so many of us, that Cathy and her support staff have trouble telling who's who!

I'm told that this is a very typical pose for us Bernese-types... speaking of Bernese, I wanted to take this opportunity to clear something up. It would seem that some of you think that we Bernese Mountain dogs are from Burma (which is officially known as Myanmar). Nope... not even close. Wrong side of the planet (as if I even know of anything beyond my playpen!). We can trace our origins back to the Swiss canton of Berne, where we were raised as working dogs.

"Berners" as we are sometimes called, used to spend their time hauling wooden carts and protecting the farm property. Here's a pic of one of my bretheren down South with a typical cart set-up:

I've been told it's great fun, but I'm not sure you'll ever catch me pulling one of those! But apparently, we Berners have been bred to be workers, so we're happiest when our owners give us something to do. We'll just have to see about that.

Mischa

No comments: